Sunday 4 January 2015

Fluff on the Ceiling Fan



She had fluff on her ceiling fan. It just sat there on the top of one of the blades, taunting me with all its grey curly dirtiness. I used to stare at it when I lay on her mattress in the morning, often when she was up already and I was in the bed alone. Sometimes when she was there with me, in the bed, we would joke about that single piece of fluff, sitting on the edge of the blade, poised to topple over into our world, but never doing so. I’d say to her that I was going to clean that ceiling fan and finally get rid of that dastardly piece of fluff so it didn’t torment us anymore. She said that she hadn’t noticed it before, at least not until I mentioned it. I think I actually did clean that fan and remove the fluff but I don’t quite remember doing it, because actions like these are easily forgotten and the desire to do it was always stronger than the memory of doing so. In any case that piece of fluff came back. It was another piece; of course; maybe taken from the huge mound of grey curly dirty fluff that all the separate pieces come from in this world, or it could have been the same piece that decided to sit in exactly the same spot, precariously like before, to really taunt me. She even told me there was fluff on her ceiling fan again, but I never saw it or had the chance to remove it again. 

Christian Martius (2014)

Published at Screech Owl (January 2015)